It includes provisions to:
- ban the sale of assault weapons;
- require mental health professionals to report to local mental health officials when they think a patient is a danger to themself or others;
- make New York the first state in the nation to ban any magazine that can hold more than seven rounds and run instant background checks on all ammunition purchases at the time of sale;
- track ammunition sales in real time to alert law enforcement to high volume purchases;
- create a statewide standard requiring recertification of pistol permits every five years;
- ensure that private sales of guns are subject to a background check; and,
- toughen criminal penalties for illegal guns, including combating gang violence.
More from Policymic.
Something else the SAFE Act did? Made the Brooklyn Young Republicans really mad.